Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Fond Farewell

Fred's Note: My aunt lost her battle to breast cancer earlier this year. Kathy was diagnosed with a very rare and aggressive of the disease 5 years ago and was given a pretty bleak prognosis, maybe 6 months to live. But then a funny thing happened--Kathy met Gary. Prior to meeting each other, they had both endured some pretty tough times, but none of those things seemed to matter when they were together. With Gary at her side, Kathy fought her cancer with every fiber of her being. She ultimately lost her battle, but certainly not for lack of trying. And through it all, I have never seen her happier than these past 5 years with Gary. I received word that Gary passed away today, and the first thing that came to mind is that he and Aunt Kathy are together again...this time forever. It's always sad when someone close to you dies, but I cannot help but feel a sense of joy as well, that I got to witness two wonderful and deserving people find their "soul mates" (and I truly believe that's what Kathy and Gary were to each other). So no mourning from this guy. No, all you'll get from me is a heart-felt expression of gratitude that I knew such a loving couple. Enjoy each other, Kathy and Gary. You'll both be missed.

No comments: