Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What Caught My Eye Today - 2010 Census Edition

Fred's Note: To regular readers of this blog, my proclivity for statistical information is well documented. (Quick sidebar. It's taken 612 postings, but I have finally managed to work one of my favorite words--proclivity--into a sentence.) So, naturally, with Census day coming up how could I pass up on the numbers bonanza about to get under way without a sharing a few ruminations on the subject. (Another sidebar. Ruminations--another bitchin' word). First a quick primer on the census.

Census - The Twenty-third United States Census is the next national census in the United States. National Census Day is April 1, 2010. The census has been conducted every 10 years since 1790, as required by the United States Constitution, with the previous one completed in 2000. The Census Bureau will no longer use a long form for the 2010 Census. In several previous censuses, one in six households received this long form, which asked for detailed social and economic information. The 2010 Census will use only a short form asking ten basic questions, including name, gender, age, date of birth, race, and homeownership status. I'll have some thoughts on this in a moment. The Government Accountability Office estimated in 2004 that the cost of the 2010 Census would be over $11 billion. This too. The results of the 2010 census will determine the number of seats each state receives in the United States House of Representatives starting with the 2012 elections. Consequently, this will also affect the number of votes that states receive in the Electoral College for the 2012 presidential election. Good news if you live in Texas and a number of other sunbelt states; not so much if you live in the rust belt or New England.

Okay, enough with the factoids. Now for some commentary.

I appreciate the fact that the Constitution states that the census is meant to count people, which I guess the census form that I filled out accomplishes, but for some reason I feel short changed. I've waited 10 years for my existence to be acknowledged by my country, and all I get to do is confirm my sex, age and address. What a letdown. And what is this about spending $11 billion on this year's census. Are they nuts? Hear me out on this one. The U.S. population is approximately 309 million. Does it really take $36 to count a person. Seriously.

But back to those questions. Here's what I've decided to do. I've come up with some of the questions that I think the Census Bureau should have asked me, and my responses would have been. Who knows. Maybe in 10 years, the census will manage to count what really matters.

  1. If you could live anywhere else besides the U.S. where would you live?
    Trick question. You bastards are trying to peg me as a terrorist. Well it won't work. I am all about the Stars and Stripes, you pinkos.
  2. Do you consider yourself attractive
    Hell yes.
  3. Do others consider you attractive?
    The ones who can see straight think so.
  4. How many Facebook friends do you have?
    Too many to count. I am just that awesome.
  5. Do you consider yourself religous?
    I don't like to brag but, yes, I've been part of some "religious experiences". Giddy up.
  6. Democrat or Republican?
    Oh come on. There must be some other option.
  7. Red or blue?
    I see myself as more of a paisley sort of person.
  8. Boxers or briefs?
    Commando all the way, baby!
  9. Cats or dogs?
    Oh please. Dogs rule.
  10. Heads or tails?
    Huh?

    Finally, for purposes of demographics:
  11. Sex?
    Yes, please.
  12. Age?
    Old enough to know better than to answer this one.
  13. Income?
    Not nearly enough for what I bring to the table.
  14. Marital Status?
    7 years and counting.
  15. Occupation?
    Pre-retired.

3 comments:

rod said...

I like this posting a lot, Fred. A few random thoughts for you.

I don't know how the figure of $11 billion is arrived at, but I do know the census has provided employment for a lot of people at a very difficult economic time. One of them is my brother, now a US citizen. I'm not saying that alone justifies the sum involved, but there are real side-benefits to real people here.

Onto the fun stuff, a few observations on your (much better) alternative questions:

2, 3: You can draw graphs for both of these showing a tight correlation between the answers to them and the amount of alcohol consumed. I once heard someone talking about the magic bus - you've been drinking in the pub since about 8pm, and when you're in the gents around 10pm the magic bus comes along to pick up all the boring women in the pub and drop off a load of gorgeous ones.

8. Too much information, even for an alternative census.

9. Your answer is ridiculous. You may prefer dogs, but to suggest any species other than cats actually rule is just delusional.

10. The correct answer is "Edge."

rod said...

Nikki's answer to Q1 - Texas.

Fred said...

That $11 billion estimate might actually be a bit low. The U.S. Government Accountability Office and the Census Bureau just revised their estimates up to around $14 billion. Here is a link to the GAO's report: http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09408t.pdf