Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Caught My Eye Today

Iran - On the off chance that you are not up on the latest political dish in Iran, trust me when I say this is a pretty big deal. A not-so-quiet debate is brewing inside the seminaries of Qum, Iran's religious capital, over how to abolish the post of the all-powerful Supreme Leader of the Islamic Republic. Critics charge that the position--whose legitimacy is derived directly from God (I've heard of mandates, but this seems a bit over the top, don't you think?) -- is based on a radical interpretation of Islam. Top Shiite scholars have compared allegiance to the Supreme Leader to an act of polytheism (which I'm guessing is bad) and have suggested to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei that "your religious legitimacy has vanished." That doesn't sound so good either. Few clerics have yet to openly call for the abolition of the post, which would be and act of treason (Now I know that's bad. They chop off heads for stuff like that).

Russia (Part I) - Pope Benedict XVI and visiting Russian President Dmitry Medvedev agreed to upgrade Vatican-Kremlin relations to full diplomatic ties. A Vatican statement said Benedict and Medvedev agreed that Russia will upgrade its representation at the Vatican from a special mission to embassy level and that the Vatican will reciprocate in Moscow. The step forward on the diplomatic front comes at the same time as a warming in previously tense relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Vatican. Usually I would applaud this as a rather substantial reconciliation. Religion is like family. Nothing about it is ever clear cut and simple. But I digress. Like I said, usually I would applaud this, however, recent events suggest this might just be a temporary thawing.

Russia (Part II) - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin sent his strongest signal yet that he plans to return to Russia's presidency, telling millions of TV viewers that he will consider running in 2012. Putin has remained Russia's consummate leader since constitutional term limits forced him to step down in 2008. He named Medvedev as his anointed successor and, shortly after the election, Medvedev named him prime minister. At least the sanctity of the Russia constitution is still in tact. The premiership had been a comparatively low-profile position, but Putin has pushed it into the spotlight, logging more TV time in the Medvedev era than the president himself. Medvedev has appeared to be little more than a figurehead and placeholder. Hey now. Is it Putin's fault that he's more photogenic, more charasmatic, more handsome, more intelligent, wiser...not to mention blessed with rock hard abs--but I digress again. Where was I? Oh yeah. Is it Putin's fault that Medvedev is such a sap? I think not. And why shouldn't the Russian people have a leader worthy of their support. Screw the Constitution, I say.

Humor - This joke made me laugh. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be so noteworthy, but here's the thing. This joke has no political undertones and doesn't poke fun at any group or stereotype (unless you are a talking dog). A guy is driving around and sees a sign in front of a house that reads, "Talking dog for sale." So he stop and the owner takes him out to the backyard to see the dog. "You talk?" he asked. "Yes I do." the dog replied. "When I was a puppy, the CIA had me jetting from country to country sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one figured a dog would be eavesdropping. Now I'm retired." The man was amazed and asked the dog's owner how much he wanted for the dog. "Ten dollars." the owner said. "Ten dollars? Why on earth would you want to sell him for so little?" "Because he's a liar. He never did any of that stuff."

No comments: